The Churches and the Nazis A level structured Reading AQA pages 83-91 and Collier and Pedley pages 122-126
1. Why was the coordination of the Churches and Christianity challenging for the Nazi party?
2. What was the main protestant church in Germany at the time and why did the Nazis choose it to become the national Church?
3. Who were the 'German Christians' and what did they do?
4. Describe what was done to the Evangelical church to Nazify (coordinate) it as the new Reich Church?
5. Who set up the Pastor's Emergency league in 1933 and what did it lead to
6. Describe some ways in which the Nazis attempted to suppress the Confessional church
7. Why was the Roman Catholic Church less susceptible to Nazi influence?
8. On what points did Catholicism and Nazism agree in the early 1930's?
9. Describe the terms of the Concordat
10. Describe ways in which the Nazis later broke the terms of the Concordat
11. What was the Papal Encyclical 1937? Describe in detail its consequences.
12. What was the German Faith Movement? Give reasons why it failed
Lesson 2 Development
Starter: Find Someone Who
1. Pair up Rally Robin - How and why did the the Nazis attempt to control the Christian Churches
2. Stand and Share
3. Pair up then Rally coach the Worksheet using the sheet and your background knowledge to inform your answers
4. Paraphrase Passport the part A and then the part B question below
5. With your revision twin create plans for these questions which you will do in timed conditions tomorrow.
Exam Style Question:
(a) Explain why the Nazi government made a Concordat with the Catholic Church in
July 1933. (12 marks)
(b) 'The German Churches willingly supported the Nazi regime in the years 1933 to 1941.'
Explain why you agree or disagree with this view. (24 marks)